You have reached your limit. Sorry, friend!
Never fear - sign up for unlimited access to the Project JUST wiki.
The brand’s Only The Brave Foundation supports projects that fight social inequality and contribute to sustainable development. The Brave Foundation has so far supported over 170 innovative projects.
OTB discloses very little about its supply chain and its social and environmental impact.
OTB does not share any goals regarding how it is working to improve environmental and social conditions in its supply chain.
OTB does not publicly disclose that it is a part of any multi stakeholder initiatives to improve the social and environmental impact of its supply chain.
/ Diesel produces more than 3,000 products each season.
/ OTB has over 7,500 employees worldwide.
/ According to OTB’s Group Profile published in 2015, Diesel is present in over 80 countries with 5,000 sales outlets and over 400 mono-brand stores.
/ OTB has a turnover of €1.55 billion.
/ The brand does not publicly disclose the countries in which its suppliers are located or the supplier names and addresses.
/ It is unclear if OTB can trace its entire supply chain.
/ The brand does not report annually on sustainability practices and progress
/ The brand does not communicate the social or environmental impact of its supply chain.
/ In 2014, Diesel declined to respond to Labour Behind the Label’s survey that asked questions about what the brand was doing to implement a living wage in its supply chain.
/ OTB doesn’t have a publically available Code of Conduct. However they do have a Code of Ethics.
/ OTB’s Code of Ethics indicates that they follow some of the International Labor Organization’s standards, including; freedom of association, right to collective bargaining, freedom in the choice of employment, exclusion of all forms of child labour at production locations, exclusion of all forms of discrimination, violence or abuse in the workplace, and the definition of minimum standards for health and safety at work. The company doesn’t explain further.
/ Rank-a-brand gave Diesel an E rating. This is the lowest possible rating and Rank-a-Brand state that Diesel has earned it by communicating nothing concrete about the policies for environment, carbon emissions or labor conditions in low-wages countries.
/ We do not have any information regarding the brand’s environmental practices because none has been made publicly available other than the OTB headquarters were built on the principles of eco-compatibility and alternative sources of energy supply, such as solar and geothermal energy.
/ According to Ecouterre, Diesel collaborated with EDUN in 2013 on African-made denim line.
/ OTB does not publicly share any goals that aim to improve its social or environmental impact.
/ Since it was established in 2008, the Only The Brave Foundation has invested in over 170 social development projects worldwide, directly benefitting the lives of over 180,000 people. The main selection criteria of the projects supported are: innovation, direct social impact and sustainability. 90% of the foundation’s funds are invested in Africa, the remaining 10% support projects in Italy, in particular in the Veneto region where the group is based.
/ Every year since 2007 Marni launches special edition products during the Christmas season. The proceeds of the sales go to schools and associations worldwide.
/ Since 1994, a t-shirt bearing the text “there is more action to be done to fight AIDS than to wear this t-shirt but it’s a good start” has been available in all Maison Margiela collections. A percentage of the sales of these t-shirts is donated to ‘AIDES’, a French charity dedicated to fighting HIV and looking after patients living with HIV and AIDS.
/ In 2013, Staff International signed a deal with Ifitalia Group BNP Paribas, to allow its suppliers to access credit at the same favored conditions as OTB. Operation C.A.S.H. (Credito Agevolato Suppliers Help) aspires to contribute to the development and improvement of the overall performance of the industry, honoring Italian excellence and supporting Made in Italy.
/ CEO Renzo Rosso’s estimated net worth is $3.1 billion.
/ We don’t have any information on how much the CEO made in the last financial year.
/ There are no reported management scandals or issues.
/ Diesel does not publicly disclose that it is a part of any innovation initiative.
“For us as consumers, it is unclear whether Diesel is committed to sustainability or not.” – 10/2015
CLARE O’CONNOR | FORBES
“Rosso isn’t sure what’s next for Only the Brave. For now he’s focused on coming to grips with his latest buy, Marni. On his first official day as Marni’s owner, in January, he got up in the middle of the night to take a 5:00 a.m. chopper to Milan.” – 3/25/2013
What do you think?
How do you feel about this brand now that you're more familiar with their practices? Send a signal, take action and let us, the brand and the world know how you feel.